Friday, March 4, 2011

The Drink that gives birth to a Goddess (drink too many and you'll have a pain in your head and possibly suffer the misuse of your groin)

Cocktails of Note: The Birth of Venus

I recently received comment from a friend of mine, claiming that my blog "practically has a penis."  Huzzah!  I cannot say how proud I am to have received such a comment.  (My father is undoubtedly more relieved as I was not much of an athlete, wrote poetry, and wore tights in plays more often then I care to admit).

However, in an effort to appeal more to the fairer sex, I have decided to dedicate this post to the Ladies. (Sorry, if you're looking for the first cocktail, I'll get to the Sazerac eventually).  And I thought that I would use the ultimate Woman Drink (not "girlie").  It's a drink fit for the Goddess of Love: Aphrodite or Venus, according to the Romans.  (BTW, bonus points for anyone who comments on the origination of this post's title):



The Birth of Venus
Equipment:  Cocktail Shaker, Martini glass

Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz. to 2 oz. of Vodka
1 oz. of Triple Sec
1 oz. Peach Juice
1 tsp. Blue Curacao
1 oz. Champagne

Combine vodka, liqueurs, and juice in the mixer with ice.  Shake for a count of 30.  Strain into a Matini glass, but don't fill the glass to the brim.  Pop that Champagne (makes sure it's chilled) and pour into the cocktail.  Your cocktail should have a beautiful sea-green hue.

Get a fellow goddess and enjoy.


For a real party with a good note, I recommend enjoying my latest enjoyable muse: Florence and the Machine, specifically, their album Lungs.



My music-guru friend Jim said it best when refering to "Dog Days are Over" the albums 1st track:


"You'd think, with as often as I've heard this song, that I'd be sick of it.  But I'm not.  That's how good this song is."

But between charging anthems, like the albums second track "Rabbit Heart (Raise it Up)" and haunting intros, like that of "Between Two Lungs," lay the themes of mortality, love, and the gift that is the challenge of life.  With strong female vocals that never drift into anger (a la Alanis Morisette, although her album Under Rug Swept would also make a find "note" with this cocktail), it's the perfect album to enjoy with the Birth of Venus.

Of course, you could always drink a bunch of them and try to find a deeper meaning in this tribute to Aphrodite from Hecules: The Legendary Journeys. (Some people have WAY too much time on their hands)


Thanks for drinking,

The Giant

1 comment: